Goodbody’s broker their way to success with technology refresh project.
Industry: Financial Services
A Hardware technology refresh for the entire client environment driven by end of usable life of existing machines and impending end of support for Windows XP in April 2014. Goodbody wanted a future proofed solution which would satisfy current and future system requirements.
Goodbody Stockbrokers, part of the Fexco Group, is Ireland’s longest established stockbroking firm with roots dating back to 1877. As well as being one of the leading institutional brokers and corporate finance houses, they are one of the largest wealth management firms in Ireland.
A number of factors led Goodbody to undertake this technology refresh project.
Firstly, the existing Dell desktop estate was at the end of its usable life, having reached the limit of extending the capacity and capability of the machines through upgrades.
Secondly and most notably, the desktops were running Windows XP, which Microsoft would cease to support in April 2014.
Rather than performing place upgrade of the operating system, it was decided to perform a complete refresh to provide a suitable foundation for current user requirements and future service enhancements.
Goodbody had an Enterprise Agreement in place with Microsoft which covered all Windows licencing; and in addition, included a bundled toolkit to improve the management and maintenance of the user desktops (System Center Configuration Manager 2012). This was of particular benefit for PC’s that were running the Windows 7 Operating System.
This project was undertaken as a key strategic investment with the following objectives:
- Provide staff with the relevant tools and support they needed
- Improve user productivity with superior hardware
- Provide an enhanced managed desktop service
- Provide a foundation for further service enhancement
To that end, Goodbody’s looked to purchase high specification PCs for all staff with sufficient capabilities and expansion to future proof them for the next 5 years. In addition, all monitors were to be replaced with larger widescreen displays with built in collaboration capability.
After a detailed evaluation of a number of different providers, Codec-dss were selected as the implementation partner of choice to roll out HP hardware.
Since the rollout, Goodbody’s have seen a number of significant benefits:
- Improved management of the desktops through the use of System Center Configuration Manager 2012 and the advanced functions of Windows Server Active Directory available for Windows 7 desktops.
- Considerably faster performance on the HP hardware compared to previous desktops.
- Improved user productivity due to a significantly larger screen area (up to 2 times more usable space than previous configuration).
- Increased user satisfaction with the overall solution.
- The ability to run the latest versions of third party vendor software, giving access to greater functionality and support.
“We are delighted with how successful this project was for us. As well as having new HP mini-tower devices for users, the new monitors have greatly improved user experience, specially for our traders – instead of needing 4 monitors, these were replaced by 3 which can display twice as much information as before.”
Sean Croston, Head of Technology, Goodbody